Photo

Inspiring Movies

567 replies to this topic

#1 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

"There is an endless search for amusements, and popular entertainment today is generally not very inspiring; it rarely brings out the positive, spiritual, noble side of our nature. More often it is violence for violence's sake; sensationalism; things that rouse the lower emotions. This leads to moral degeneration--and to destruction. If people only understood that, they wouldn't be so surprised by the turmoil and unrest in the world today."

Brother Anandamoy, 'Is Peace Possible in the World Today?' A World in Transition

I haven't yet been able to give up tv and movies totally, so in the meantime I try to find movies that portray 'the positive, spiritual, noble side' of human nature as much as possible, since I'm going to watch something anyway :blush: I'd be interested in on-going recommendations on this thread from you all about what you think are spiritually/morally inspiring movies, and also if you care to comment, what specifically about the movie makes it so (please don't give away too much plot and spoil the movie though!). BTW, by spiritually inspiring I am not necessarily referring to religious movies, though those are great, too. I don't see movies until they come out on dvd, so some of you will have already seen anything I recommend, and if so please feel free to comment, in agreement or disagreement!

:rolleyes:

"May Thy Love shine forever on the sanctuary of our devotion, and may we be able to awaken Thy Love in all hearts."

"Only Love can take my place." Master

"Love one another." Christ

#2 Allan

Allan

• Admin
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:03 PM

Bagger Vance!
And I don't even play Golf.
:ok:  :mellow:
IDF
Allan

"Philosophy can play an intricate word-game with truth, but what each individual has to deal with in fact is the obstinate mindset of his present state of consciousness."
Paramahansa Yogananda - The Second Coming of Christ, 1st Edition page 134

#3 richard walsh

richard walsh
  • Members+
  • 122 posts
  • Location:alaska land of the individual and other endangered species

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

:) mary poppins "practically perfect in every way"

may not be totally inspiring but it sure is entertaining for kids of all ages :flowersmile:

#4 pberq

pberq
  • Members+
  • 844 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:26 AM

"Smoke Signals" is a great movie of transformation. It is a low budget independent film about the contemporary Native American experience. It has comedy and tragedy and a soulful feeling.

Here is the IMDB page on this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120321/

IDF

#5 vega

vega
  • Members+
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:05 AM

"The Shop Around the Corner"----The original of "You got mail" and much much better...Great cast, Great performances. Although a  typical Christmas movie, but good for anytime you want to lift your spirits...My all time favorite!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033045/

#6 Guest_Guest_guest*

Guest_Guest_guest*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

Forrest Gump is good, but it's been many of times on TV.

#7 vega

vega
  • Members+
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

Dear Allan,
I replied to this post. I don't see it. What could have happened?
Thanks for all your effort in creating & maintaining this board. :)

#8 Allan

Allan

• Admin
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:06 AM

Dear Allan,
I replied to this post. I don't see it. What could have happened?
Thanks for all your effort in creating & maintaining this board. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry about the messages being delayed. :blush:
You should not have a delay again.
IDF
Allan
IDF
Allan

"Philosophy can play an intricate word-game with truth, but what each individual has to deal with in fact is the obstinate mindset of his present state of consciousness."
Paramahansa Yogananda - The Second Coming of Christ, 1st Edition page 134

#9 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:21 AM

Great recommendations, all, thanks!

Richard, isn't Mary Poppins Bro. Bhaktananda's favorite movie, I think someone said?  I've still not seen it!

Here's some more movies that are great for children and 'adult children'  :lol: I like this move site I got from one of your posts:

Touching Wild Horses (2002)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298578/

The Wizard of Oz--1939
Classic, spiritual allegory

Harry Potter series

A Little Princess (1995) (has a wonderful Indian theme)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113670/

Shrek (2001)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0126029/

Here's one strictly for adults.  Based on a true story, made me question the moral choices I might make when placed in a situation of such tremendous pressure.  Nominated for many awards:

The Insider (1999)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140352/

"May Thy Love shine forever on the sanctuary of our devotion, and may we be able to awaken Thy Love in all hearts."

#10 Preeta

Preeta
  • Members+
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

Here are some films I find that inspire and exemplify enobling qualities in some way or that are wholesome and just plain uplifting. 

Babette’s Feast (French? Foreign) a perfect film, unlike any film you've ever seen, embraces simplicity and "pure goodness" and takes you to another world in a very entertaining and satisfying way.  I've never seen another film (in it's genre) that can touch this-- it is truly unique.

Gudonov The World To Dance In by Kultur, Documentary with Alexander Gudonov-- incredible to watch this extraordinary talent in motion and his humble attitude of gratitude for having the courage to go for his dream and being able to share it with others.

Sense and Sensibility, Emma Thomson, Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman-- sweet wholesome romance that demonstrates, strength, courage, integrity, humility, love and more through it's characterizations.  Great cast.

Always, by Steven Spielberg, with Holly Hunter, Richard Dryfuss, John Goodman, reminds me of how God is "always" there for us.  A favorite.

The Bishops Wife, (the original) with Carey Grant, Loretta Young and David Niven, It is so good!  Br. B hinted there were some angelic influences in the making of this film.

You’ve Got Mail, Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan- the remake of The Shop Around the Corner-- wholesome and uplifting romance, a film you can watch again and again.

Forever Young, with Mel Gibson, Jamie Lee Curtis, Elijah Wood, young and old like this (one fight scene though)---  another film you can watch again and again because it is so sweet and filled with good characters that are interesting.  Character, relationship and plot development that satisfies.

Groundhog Day, with Jim Murray and Andie McDowall, a film SRF ministers often mention-- kind of like us going through the cycle of reincarnation.  A good film for devotees.

Bicentennial Man, with Robyn Williams, Sam Neil and Oliver Platt, young and old like this, captures the human spirits need to fully "be" in a unique way. 

Nicholas Nickleby, with Charlie Hunnam, Anne Hathaway, and Christopher Plummer, most remarkable is the nobility, kindness and compassion of this young actor Charlie Hunnam who plays Nicholas Nickleby, (although there are some tough scenes (children in an impoverished school where the schoolmaster is abusive-- I fast forward through that part), in this film you see the incredible spirit of this young actor Charlie Hunnan who personifies goodness, nobility, compassion and kindness in a way I haven't seen done for a while.

I also liked Allen's: Bagger Vance, very much, very spiritual overtones!
Guest's: Forrest Gump, you should definitely see this once.
And Wendy's: My Dog Skip, this is a wholesome little winner... sweet as pie!

I hope this helps!
Preeta

#11 Oceanlvr

Oceanlvr
  • Members+
  • 3,078 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, reading, loving my children, serving the hungry, nature, rivers, ocean, loving!!

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:47 PM

What a fun thread!

My dog Skip, a very sweet movie..
Kundun, so very inspiring.
Always, this is a favorite of mine too.
Philadelphia..tugged at my heart!
Old Yeller..an all time favorite of our family's.
Tuesdays with Morrie~such an incredibly inspiring movie!
Field of Dreams... :)
Hotel Rwanda, a very intense and raw honest movie, yet soooo inspiring to me.
Black Beauty.. I love horses, and this is such a classic...
Finding Forrester....super inspiring!
SeaBiscuit. ;)
Gandhi  _()_
Last Samurai ~
Step Mom..with Susan Sarandon... sad but inspiring.

:smileb:

#12 catoctin

catoctin
  • Members+
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:To faithfully follow the Royal Highway so beautifully illuminated by Paramahansa Yogananda, and help others find meaning and spiritual growth in life. To enjoy the unfolding of the Divine Intelligence in the convergence of science and spirituality, in medicine and healing, in great music of all cultures, and in technology as a servant of Spirit.

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

This IS a fun thread - a little respite from all our struggles!

"Dragonfly" was inspiring, well-made and visually beautiful. Kevin Costner gives it some depth. It is of greater interest for devotees as it depicts a fictional but credible series of interactions with children who have near-death experiences, helping Kevin Costner to unravel a tragedy in his life. It has a lot of adventure in the South American rain forests and a clever, fantastically happy ending.  :D

"Second Hand Lions" with Michael Caine and Robert Duvall is moving story of a young boy's struggle to find some warmth and a home with his uncles. It is filled with clever humor, well acted, and has a wry spirituality without anything really objectionable. ;)

And don't forget one of the greatest movies of all times, "Lawrence of Arabia" with Peter O'Toole! 

#13 harmony

harmony
  • Members+
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Living life to the fullest<br /><br />SRF

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:28 PM

I never did see the movie, "Tuesday's with Morrie" but enjoyed the book very much!  I really do not get a chance to see too many movies.

Very pretty picture of you Wendy.  Hope your divorce is moving along as peacefully as possible.  Feel free to write me if you like. I can relate to many of the things that you spoke of.

IDl
harmony

#14 harmony

harmony
  • Members+
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

I agree! very symbolic

: )

#15 Oceanlvr

Oceanlvr
  • Members+
  • 3,078 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, reading, loving my children, serving the hungry, nature, rivers, ocean, loving!!

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:47 PM

Oh thats right, Dragonfly was very inspiring, and Second Hand Lions was a delight!

:)

#16 Oceanlvr

Oceanlvr
  • Members+
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

Dear Harmony~

Oh~ you have to see Tuesdays with Morrie, you will love it...

I am not anywhere near beginning a divorce, unfortunately.
We had to move back in together for financial reasons, but I need to have God help me be able to support my children on my own.
I am not sure how quickly I can do this, yet this is my goal.

So hard....

Do you have the same email?

Love,
Wendy

#17 harmony

harmony
  • Members+
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:53 PM

Wendy,

My yahoo email remains the same. 
Be well
IDF
h

#18 Oceanlvr

Oceanlvr
  • Members+
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:05 AM

Thank-you Harmony.  :)

I will write you today.

God bless you.

idf,
Wendy

#19 Oceanlvr

Oceanlvr
  • Members+
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

Has anyone here seen the movie "What the Bleep"?

Someone I know saw this and loved it. I have no idea what it is even about!

I am curious!

idl,
Wendy

#20 lucknow

lucknow
  • Members+
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

I've always found Star Trek Next Generation to be pretty positive and idealistic. I watch a lot of British comedy TV shows because they are usually really funny in a fairly innocuous way, they don't resort to base humor like a lot of the American ones do.

I enjoy watching sports on TV because the players have such incredible physical skills, it is almost as if they are transcending human limitations at least in a physical way.

PBS has a lot of historical and music shows that are interesting and educational. I could probably just watch PBS all the time and I would be a better and more intelligent person.

There's  PAX network that has religious and family show like Bonanza, but it doesn't come in whre I am.

#21 ogopogo

ogopogo
  • Members+
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

what about "Big Fish"?

#22 innernature

innernature
  • Members+
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, Aikido, Travel, Self-Education, Web Design

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

Hi Wendy,
I saw that in the video store, and I thought about picking it up.  It's called "What the Bleep do we know?"
I read the back but I dont remember it all... it sounded interesting, kind of like "Waking Dream," if you've ever seen that.
There's a trailer on the website:
www.whatthebleep.com
From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.

~ Dr. Seuss

#23 innernature

innernature
  • Members+
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:58 PM

I liked that movie very much.  The main character has the enthusiasm and determination that Master encourages us to have, as well as a positive attitude, and kindness. :)

~ Dr. Seuss

#24 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:40 PM

I love having this thread here.  Some of you have mentioned some of my favorite movies, and I keep a list of the others I haven't seen yet for future viewing.

A few more recommendations:

Hero--Chinese martial arts movie, but so much more, beautiful
I am David--young boy finds good in a world of evil (having lived most his life in a work camp after WWII)
In Good Company--about business values and family values and generations learning from each other, really heartwarming

#25 Oceanlvr

Oceanlvr
  • Members+
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

Hi Crystal,

I just rented "What the Bleep?" tonight.
Have you watched it yet??
Will write about it tomorrow!
Also, I am emailing you too!

idl,
Wendy  :smileph:

#26 Guest_Guest_guest*

Guest_Guest_guest*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:30 PM

forest gump is the best he was just a child at heart as we all must be to enter the kingdom :praying:

#27 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:47 PM

Michael Radford's new movie of Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice" is sumptuously gorgeous and the acting is outstanding, imo. Al Pacino plays Shylock, a very interesting choice for Shakespeare! It has inspired me to read and study the play again.  The introduction to my book of the play by David Benington was really interesting because it talked about the theme of platonic/spiritual friendship along with the theme of marriage, so much like what Master talks about, for instance in his discourse in the Second Coming.  Unfortunately there seem to be almost no one who 'gets' this, including this director who interpreted Antonio and Bassanio's relationship with homoerotic undertones, which is too bad.  It reminds me of the old movie "The Last Temptation of Christ" which explored the idea that Jesus was tempted by a sexual relationship with Mary Magdalene while on the cross, and the still current idea that he was married to her, as in the "DaVinci Code".  I guess we're some of the few who have learned that sexual tendencies can, and eventually, must be transmuted. But the movie is still so beautiful in so many ways.

The other very interesting theme was the development of Portia from a position of female powerlessness to her ability to deal with men on their own terms, in the world of law and justice in the courtroom, but bringing with her the wonderfully feminine value of mercy which the key male characters of the play needed to learn.  The courtroom scene was incredibly well done.

Interesting, Master recommended that we read saints and scriptures of all religions, plus keep up with philosophy, arts and sciences, etc.  But as far as I know, the only literary author he ever recommended by name was Shakespeare.  :rolleyes:

#28 arlos

arlos
  • Members+
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:all things water

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:56 AM

Wendy, when I first heard the premise for this film, I was really excited but in time the more I learned about who was behind it's production, I lost interest. i did finally rent it to stop shoving my foot down my throat any further, blurting out how bad could this really be?  Well, it turned out to be one of the worse films ever created. It has all the ADD film techniques of an MTV special. JZ Knight is particularly annoying with something of a 1950's London theater drop out sort of middle english accent. Not to be too catty but she hasn't aged well either when you see photos of her from 20 years ago. The film never really makes a point. It's like watching the fog roll in and then back out. It's as bizarre and disturbing as a mushroom pizza induced dream. I'm sure the CD would make a great coffee coaster.

Arlos

#29 Oceanlvr

Oceanlvr
  • Members+
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:31 AM

Dear Arlos,

I agree 100% with you regarding this movie!
It was awful. I ended up fast forwarding, and then I finally just turned it off.
It was a big disappointment.  :blink:
I would rather watch Scooby Doo with my kids!  ;)

#30 innernature

innernature
  • Members+
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hi Wendy,
I just saw this post.  What was the movie like? :)

:D
Crystal

~ Dr. Seuss

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users