How To Remove Unwanted Thoughts And Negativity Form Your Mind

8 replies to this topic

#1 kristin

kristin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

Hi,
I'm new to this group. I've recently started meditating. I have lots of unwanted thoughts and negativity in my mind. My thoughts make me so restless and stressed out. Some thoughts are such which randomly comes in my mind. How can I get rid of such thoughts and negativity. I would appreciates if I can get any helpful suggestions. And negativity always surrounds me.
Jai Guru,

#2 Mahavir_

Mahavir_
  • Members+
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

One way is to study the nature of the mind. You have thoughts, but what are you. Are you your thoughts? They shape who and what you are, but what is it that is shaped? And since you can change the direction, that means you arent the thoughts themselves but the one having them. So dont be too worried about the thoughts themselves, but dwell on the fact you are the thinker who is eternal while thoughts come and go.

An important thing is not to be fearful of negative thoughts. By running from them you give them even more attention. Either hold them before you and analyze them keenly (often you will reason out the illusion of why it is a useless thought and burst the bubble of its hold on you), or surrender them to God. Bring your negative thought before Him without feeling ashamed. God is like an unfailing shock absorber. You can launch a million rockets at the sun and they will all be destroyed but the sun will not.

'One who practices pranayama, truly loves all beings.'  ~  Lahiri Mahasaya

#3 Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members+
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

This still happens to me too, after 5 years on this path, but I am able to brush them aside, because I know, and God and Guruji know that I do not mean them. I don't know why they are there, but they are not me, they are a kind of "static" on my spiritual radio. Don't worry, just keep on meditating, and one day we will be masters of everything. :love: Stargz.
Make life an enjoyable experience of the soul.

[This] evenmindedness, when maintained by regular deep meditation, removes the boredom, disappointment, and sorrow from everyday life, making it instead a very interesting and enjoyable experience of the soul.

Paramahansa Yogananda in "Inner Peace" page 13.

#4 smilingforMaster

smilingforMaster
  • Members+
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hi,
I'm new to this group. I've recently started meditating. I have lots of unwanted thoughts and negativity in my mind. My thoughts make me so restless and stressed out. Some thoughts are such which randomly comes in my mind. How can I get rid of such thoughts and negativity. I would appreciates if I can get any helpful suggestions. And negativity always surrounds me.
Jai Guru,

When I first started meditating 20 years ago, the exact same thing happened to me. It was scary because some thoughts that started coming into my mind were absolutely awful and they shocked me. I felt bad for having such dark thoughts float into my mind.

My husband offered a suggestion. He said to watch the thoughts in a detached way. Do not give them emotional response. Bless them, even though they are very bad. Then without much effort, kind of visualize God's loving light around the thought. Again try not to get affected negatively by the thoughts. Just watch them fly by in God's light. In time they will flee!

I did this and it worked. :-) I cannot remember how long it took me to get rid of the constant bad thoughts, but this easy technique freed my heart. I have done this throughout my sadhana and it has been very helpful. I hope it helps you also.

And by the way, I would guess almost everyone who starts meditating experiences what you are going through! You are settling down and thoughts from all over the place are entering your quiet mind. You will succeed! God Bless You :-)

Leslie

#5 vpn

vpn
  • Members+
  • 3,214 posts
  • Interests:Left with only one interest. Securing God.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

The yoga method of getting rid of stray thoughts during meditation is to watch them one by one. As you watch a thought in an unattached manner, that thought will quickly settle down. In the book Mejda, someone once asked guruji how to get rid of stray thoughts while meditating ( towards the end of the book where he answers various questions ). He asked for a handful of soil to be brought in, which he stirred into a glass of water. As first the glass was cloudy for the soil. Later the soil particles formed strands and settled down at the bottom of the glass. Guru then explained that as we watch these thoughts one by one, they quickly settle down, leaving the mind free for meditation. A thief discovered flees.

IDL

#6 brygivrob

brygivrob
  • Moderators
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

we can also try to use will power and discrimination

that is, recognise the wrong thought, say NO, and immediately replace it with a good thought, such as "Master, I love you"

and then hold onto the good thought by repeating it (with devotion is practising the Presence)

#7 siddhartha

siddhartha
  • Members+
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Chanting - Japa

Sing it, smile, enjoy the Lord's name!

Your ego will try to tell you - You are your thoughts. But you are NOT!!

IDF
S

#8 en3rgy

en3rgy
  • Members+
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:26 AM

What I do is focus my mind on imagining Guru touching my head, blessing me, then I focus on my heart and fill it with joy and light. Basically this is in the first few lessons :) It's worked wonderfully for me. Not too lofty or psychological, just plain and easy.

#9 sagopalm

sagopalm
  • Members+
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hi,
Jai Guru,

Many excellent methods were described in this thread.

I wil remind you of another one, described by Patanjai:
Whenever a bad thought comes in your mind replace it
with the opposite thought. (loose quote)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users