Are There Any Gurus Alive Today

28 replies to this topic

#1 happybuddha

happybuddha
  • Members+
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hello,

It is heartening to learn about so many masters and then disheartening to know that none of them are in their bodies. Including the line of gurus of YSS/SRF. I was wondering if you can tell me of any gurus, in the real sense, are still alive today. A lot of people respect Sathya Sai Baba and Amma (Amritanandamayi). I have once had the opportunity to hug Amma, but meeting Sathya Sai Baba, it seems, is impossible. I would love to meet as many of them as possible, as early as possible. I would be grateful if you could list out any of them you know.

IDF
HB

#2 chelaum

chelaum
  • Members+
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Guruji's Lotus Feet; kirtan (harmonium); my children; Carnatic music; my massi's cooking; serving at the Atlanta Temple; dear friends; advaita scripture (Yoga Vasishta, Upadesa Sahasri, Sri Ramana Gita, GTWA, etc)...

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

Sri Karunamayi Mataji is a partial incarnation of Mata Sarasvati. And Sri Ramana Bhagavan foretold of Her coming. She frequents Atlanta as She has an ashram here. She teaches Her devotees meditation and mantra jap. Jai Ma!

#3 SaintMirabai

SaintMirabai
  • Members+
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:13 AM

What about Shankari Mai Jiew ? she was student of Trailanga Swami. There's a photo ofher in AOAY.
Maybe she is still around somewhere. I'd rather hope she is ..

idf Mirry

#4 Gurucharan

Gurucharan
  • Members+
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:38 AM

There are quite a few realized souls - of course Siddhas, Khanda-Avatars, Avatars - fewer as we progress from left to right.

In India, I would list Sri Sri, Jaggi Vasudev, Kongurunathar in this list. :pronam:

If we pray for meeting up with some of them, we may be successful.

Meeting great Gurus is a momentous event in one's life. It may change one's life forever.

For me, reading AoY was the turning point. And I have been told that I will be able to meet my Guru in body only in my next Janma. :praying: :praying: :praying:

Like you I would also love to meet some great Souls in this Janma so that we can invite their blessings.

What a moment it will be to meet them and seek their blessings. :praying:

IDF

Sundar

#5 chelaum

chelaum
  • Members+
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Guruji's Lotus Feet; kirtan (harmonium); my children; Carnatic music; my massi's cooking; serving at the Atlanta Temple; dear friends; advaita scripture (Yoga Vasishta, Upadesa Sahasri, Sri Ramana Gita, GTWA, etc)...

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:35 AM

Bhaiyya, you can meet Gurdev in the physical in this janma, too. It is possible!

#6 Orange

Orange
  • Members+
  • 799 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:46 AM

Sri Karunamayi Mataji is a partial incarnation of Mata Sarasvati. And Sri Ramana Bhagavan foretold of Her coming. She frequents Atlanta as She has an ashram here. She teaches Her devotees meditation and mantra jap. Jai Ma!

Is this Amma the hugging saint? And you say Sri Ramana is that Maharshi foretold of her coming?  Do you have a website of the Atlanta site?  Is there a large Indian population there?  Ifin I ever come visit the Atlanta SRF Temple....

#7 happybuddha

happybuddha
  • Members+
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:08 AM

Hi Orange,

The hugging saint is Mata Amritanandamayi. Well, I dont know what pulls all the saints to America. You have so many people in India thirsty still !

There is no way/route mentioned in any of their sites (Jaggi V and Karunamayi M) I can meet them. Ofcourse, meeting without having to spend a fortune to meet them. There are many places of birth and death of great masters that I have been fortunate enough to visit. So Id love to visit for a darshan and a blessing, from the living ones, while I can.

Chelaum, could you please tell me how I could meet PY physically in this janma ?

IDF

#8 chelaum

chelaum
  • Members+
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:35 AM

Orange- Karunamayi Mataji is different than Mata Amritanandamayi, as HB pointed out. And yes, Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi prophesized Her coming here on Earth. I don't have a site off hand, but recieve their email updates. I'm sure you could do a search. Also, yes, there are very many Indians living in metro Atlanta. We have countless temples here of all kinds.

HB- Just as St Francis, Master, Swami Kebalanandaji, and many others have beheld the flesh and blood forms of saints/gurus, so can you! Guruji talk about this here and there. He contacted many past saints and conversed with them on many a subject. We are not exempt.

#9 Gurucharan

Gurucharan
  • Members+
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:16 AM

Bhaiyya, you can meet Gurdev in the physical in this janma, too. It is possible!

Well said.

I stand corrected dear Chelaum. Yes, it is very much possible. :praying:

IDF

Sundar

#10 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:10 AM

This is a little off-topic, Chelaum. But would you say what is meant by "partial incarnation".

idl

"May Thy Love shine forever on the sanctuary of our devotion, and may we be able to awaken Thy Love in all hearts."

"Only Love can take my place." Master

"Love one another." Christ

#11 happy devotee

happy devotee
  • Members+
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

My Guru, Yogananda, is so alive that it is startling at times. I have all I can handle dealing with Him and trying to obey Him. He is so fulfilling I cannot imagine thinking of anything or anyone else!

#12 Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members+
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

LB: This is a little off-topic, Chelaum. But would you say what is meant by "partial incarnation".

I would like to know that too! Upper half or lower half, or one of the sides? :lol: (I am being naughty!). Stargz.
Make life an enjoyable experience of the soul.

[This] evenmindedness, when maintained by regular deep meditation, removes the boredom, disappointment, and sorrow from everyday life, making it instead a very interesting and enjoyable experience of the soul.

Paramahansa Yogananda in "Inner Peace" page 13.

#13 Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members+
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

My Guru, Yogananda, is so alive that it is startling at times. I have all I can handle dealing with Him and trying to obey Him. He is so fulfilling I cannot imagine thinking of anything or anyone else!

Me too. :love: Stargz.
Make life an enjoyable experience of the soul.

[This] evenmindedness, when maintained by regular deep meditation, removes the boredom, disappointment, and sorrow from everyday life, making it instead a very interesting and enjoyable experience of the soul.

Paramahansa Yogananda in "Inner Peace" page 13.

#14 JaiGuru

JaiGuru
  • Members+
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

This is a little off-topic, Chelaum. But would you say what is meant by "partial incarnation".

idl

lb,

Can I jump in if you don’t mind and rant a little bit. When God manifests in physical form, the degree of manifestation of His divinity depends on the nature of the physical form. Our Guru talks about it in one of the tapes - the gradually increasing manifestation of God in rocks, plants, animals and human beings. The degrees of divine manifestation, known as Kalas (or rays of spiritual splendor) vary from 1 to 16. Here are the 16 Kalas.

1) Annamaya 2) Pranamaya 3) Manomaya 4) Vigyanamaya 5) Anandamaya 6) Atishayini 7) Viparinabhimi 8) Sankramini 9) Prabhvi 10) Kunthini 11) Vikasini 12) Maryadini 13) Sanhaladini 14) Ahladini 15) Paripurna 16) Swarupavasthit

Avatars are classified according to the number of Kalas they manifest. Avatars who are born with the 16 Kalas are omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent from birth and display those qualities without a break through out their lifetime. They are never in delusion and don’t have physical bodies made of the 5 elements although they appear as such to the human eye. Lord Krishna manifested the 16 Kalas from birth and He was never in delusion. So Lord Krishna is called a Poorna-avatar or Sampoorna-avatar - a full incarnation and Hindus consider Him to be God which our Guru also stated in GTWA. It is said that Lord Krishna never had tears of sadness. I can’t recall a single incident in His life when He had sad tears. Although India produced many avatars, Lord Krishna is the only one that I know of who is called Poorna-avatar. Such avatars are the rarest and are born to prevent total destruction of dharma.

There are other avatars that don’t manifest the 16 Kalas. They take upon themselves some delusion at birth and work their way through it. They don’t display omniscience all the time. They have ordinary human bodies made of the 5 elements which are prone to injury and physical diseases. Avatars like Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Swami Vivekananda whose physical bodies suffered from cancer and diabetes respectively are some examples. Avatars manifesting between 9 and 15 Kalas are classified in to Avesha-avatar, Lila-avatar, Amsa-avatar which are not complete/full incarnations but are called partial incarnations as I understand it. Ordinary people manifest anywhere between 5 to 8 Kalas depending on whether they are being evil or saintly and I think prophets, advanced yogis and munis are probably manifesting 8 Kalas. Rocks and minerals are at 1. Plants and animals are between 2 to 4. I could be wrong though. But I hope this information addresses some of your curiosity.

Jai Guru!

#15 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

idl

lb,

Can I jump in if you don’t mind and rant a little bit. When God manifests in physical form, the degree of manifestation of His divinity depends on the nature of the physical form. Our Guru talks about it in one of the tapes - the gradually increasing manifestation of God in rocks, plants, animals and human beings. The degrees of divine manifestation, known as Kalas (or rays of spiritual splendor) vary from 1 to 16. Here are the 16 Kalas.

1) Annamaya 2) Pranamaya 3) Manomaya 4) Vigyanamaya 5) Anandamaya 6) Atishayini 7) Viparinabhimi 8) Sankramini 9) Prabhvi 10) Kunthini 11) Vikasini 12) Maryadini 16) Sanhaladini 14) Ahladini 15) Paripurna 16) Swarupavasthit

Avatars are classified according to the number of Kalas they manifest. Avatars who are born with the 16 Kalas are omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent from birth and display those qualities without a break through out their lifetime. They are never in delusion and don’t have physical bodies made of the 5 elements although they appear as such to the human eye. Lord Krishna manifested the 16 Kalas from birth and He was never in delusion. So Lord Krishna is called a Poorna-avatar or Sampoorna-avatar - a full incarnation and Hindus consider Him to be God which our Guru also stated in GTWA. It is said that Lord Krishna never had tears of sadness. I can’t recall a single incident in His life when He had sad tears. Although India produced many avatars, Lord Krishna is the only one that I know of who is called Poorna-avatar. Such avatars are the rarest and are born to prevent total destruction of dharma.

There are other avatars that don’t manifest the 16 Kalas. They take upon themselves some delusion at birth and work their way through it. They don’t display omniscience all the time. They have ordinary human bodies made of the 5 elements which are prone to injury and physical diseases. Avatars like Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Swami Vivekananda whose physical bodies suffered from cancer and diabetes respectively are some examples. Avatars manifesting between 9 and 15 Kalas are classified in to Avesha-avatar, Lila-avatar, Amsa-avatar which are not complete/full incarnations but are called partial incarnations as I understand it. Ordinary people manifest anywhere between 5 to 8 Kalas depending on whether they are being evil or saintly and I think prophets, advanced yogis and munis are probably manifesting 8 Kalas. Rocks and minerals are at 1. Plants and animals are between 2 to 4. I could be wrong though. But I hope this information addresses some of your curiosity.

Jai Guru!

Thanks! JG :love:

I don't remember seeing, even in GTWA, where Master goes into this much detail, but maybe I missed it, is it in there?

If not, do you know where I could read some about this?

This is great information, but it does bring up more questions. :)

PS: Edit: Swami Sivananda's site if magnificent for details on Hinduism :sparkle:

By
Sri Swami Sivananda

http://www.dlshq.org...ra.htm#manifest

This doesn't tell all the details you talked about, JG, like the degree of maya one takes on, etc. so if you have other sources please share.

idl :sparkle:

"May Thy Love shine forever on the sanctuary of our devotion, and may we be able to awaken Thy Love in all hearts."

#16 JaiGuru

JaiGuru
  • Members+
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

This doesn't tell all the details you talked about, JG, like the degree of maya one takes on, etc. so if you have other sources please share.

I did not talk about degrees of maya. I was referring to degrees of divine manifestation known as Kalas in Hinduism. In the reference you provided, Swami Sivananda says that "The Lord’s manifestation in His Avataras ranges from nine to sixteen digits or rays" but elsewhere he talks about partial incarnations, prophets and others being minor manifestations of God (see below). It is obvious from Swami Sivananda's comments that prophets manifest less than 9 Kalas. Our Guru also said that avatars come with their own store of realization which is awakened during their life time but I don't remember him saying anything similar about saints or prophets. Anyway, it is beyond my ability to figure out who falls in to what category. I prefer to go by what our Guru or other avatars say.

Lord Krishna was the Purna Avatara with 16 Kalas. Every word of His teachings and every act of His was full of sublime object lessons of momentous import to humanity..........

Lord Krishna was the highest incarnation of the great Vishnu. He was the unique and crowning incarnation of all. He was the Purna Avatara, the Perfect Incarnation. He had sixteen Kalas or rays.........

Greatest manifestations are called Avataras proper. Avesha, Amsa (partial) and Kala Avataras, Rishis, Munis, Prophets, Messiahs, Sons of God, messengers of God are minor manifestations.

http://www.dlshq.org...lordkrishna.htm

Avataras are of various kinds. There are Purna-avataras, with full Kalas or rays. There are Amsa-avataras or partial incarnations. There are Lila-avataras.

Lord Krishna was a Purna-avatara. Sri Sankaracharya was an Amsa-avatara. Matsya, Kurma, Varaha, Narasimha, Vamana, Rama and others were Lila-avataras.

http://www.dlshq.org...atara.htm#kinds

#17 SaintMirabai

SaintMirabai
  • Members+
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

There are quite a few realized souls - of course Siddhas, Khanda-Avatars, Avatars - fewer as we progress from left to right.

In India, I would list Sri Sri, Jaggi Vasudev, Kongurunathar in this list. :pronam:

If we pray for meeting up with some of them, we may be successful.

Meeting great Gurus is a momentous event in one's life. It may change one's life forever.

For me, reading AoY was the turning point. And I have been told that I will be able to meet my Guru in body only in my next Janma. :praying: :praying: :praying:

Like you I would also love to meet some great Souls in this Janma so that we can invite their blessings.

What a moment it will be to meet them and seek their blessings.
:praying:

IDF

Sundar

Hey Gurucharan, what is a janma ? please , AOY was the turning point for me too.
idf, Mirry

#18 SaintMirabai

SaintMirabai
  • Members+
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

LB: This is a little off-topic, Chelaum. But would you say what is meant by "partial incarnation".

I would like to know that too! Upper half or lower half, or one of the sides? :lol: (I am being naughty!). Stargz.

He he, good one Stargz, I think Sri Yukteswarji would have liked that. Mirry :D :love:

#19 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

I did not talk about degrees of maya.

What I was referring to was where you mentioned avatars taking on delusion (it seems different incarnations take on different amounts/degrees).

And I was asking if you had any other sources besides the ones I already read, since you said some things that Swami Sivananda doesn't mention, besides taking on delusion. Such as the specific names of the 16 kalas, etc.

Greatest manifestations are called Avataras proper. Avesha, Amsa (partial) and Kala Avataras, Rishis, Munis, Prophets, Messiahs, Sons of God, messengers of God are minor manifestations.

It seems in the context of this article that he is saying 'greatest manifestations' are Purna-avataras/16 rayed, and all the rest in the list, including the lesser avataras mentioned are 'minor manifestations' of God since they are listed all in the same sentence. Hard to say if some of these are synonyms for others in the list, or how many rays they have, or if they are listed in any order, he doesn't say.

idl

#20 Gurucharan

Gurucharan
  • Members+
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:31 AM

Hey Gurucharan, what is a janma ? please , AOY was the turning point for me too.
idf, Mirry

Dear Mirry,

Janma in Sanskrit or Janam in Hindi refers to birth or incarnation. :) Sorry I could've used the English word. However, when I write with some passion, I turn to native language.

IDF

Sundar

#21 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

idf, Mirry

Dear Mirry,

Janma in Sanskrit or Janam in Hindi refers to birth or incarnation. :) Sorry I could've used the English word. However, when I write with some passion, I turn to native language.

IDF

Sundar

I love the Sanskrit, Hindi, Bengali words but my elderly brain :D doesn't remember them well anymore.

However, 'janma' is easy since Janmashtami is Sri Krishna's birthday. :love: (oops, forgot what shtami means now! :D)

idl

#22 Khan

Khan
  • Members+
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

[/quote]

(snip)
However, 'janma' is easy since Janmashtami is Sri Krishna's birthday. :love: (oops, forgot what shtami means now! :D)

idl
[/quote]

I believe ashtami means "the eighth."

Khan

#23 Ausar

Ausar
  • Members+
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hello,

It is heartening to learn about so many masters and then disheartening to know that none of them are in their bodies. Including the line of gurus of YSS/SRF. I was wondering if you can tell me of any gurus, in the real sense, are still alive today. A lot of people respect Sathya Sai Baba and Amma (Amritanandamayi). I have once had the opportunity to hug Amma, but meeting Sathya Sai Baba, it seems, is impossible. I would love to meet as many of them as possible, as early as possible. I would be grateful if you could list out any of them you know.

IDF
HB

Remember BABAJI and His eternal promise?

#24 happybuddha

happybuddha
  • Members+
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

Remember BABAJI and His eternal promise?

In the context of meeting a realised soul ?
No. Could you please, please, write it here ?

IDF

#25 SaintMirabai

SaintMirabai
  • Members+
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:47 AM

idf, Mirry

Dear Mirry,

IDF

Sundar

Thanks for your explanations Sundar. :ok: idf Mirry

#26 brygivrob

brygivrob
  • Moderators
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

When Brother Turiyananda was a brand new student to SRF, and had just read the AY, the Master left his body in 1953 in Los Angeles. Apparently Brother was shocked and saddened by the news.

Not much later, a great Indian saint (sorry, does anyone know his name?) came to Switzerland, and Brother T. visited him. He was so taken by the saint that he asked the saint to be his guru and accept him as a disciple.

The saint said, "But you have a guru!"

Brother said, "But Yogananda is dead."

The saint replied, "No! YOU are dead! Yogananda is alive!"

#27 happy devotee

happy devotee
  • Members+
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:59 AM

1952. March 7, 1952

#28 Gurucharan

Gurucharan
  • Members+
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

When Brother Turiyananda was a brand new student to SRF, and had just read the AY, the Master left his body in 1953 in Los Angeles. Apparently Brother was shocked and saddened by the news.

Not much later, a great Indian saint (sorry, does anyone know his name?) came to Switzerland, and Brother T. visited him. He was so taken by the saint that he asked the saint to be his guru and accept him as a disciple.

This a fabulous quote. :praying: Thanks

IDF

Sundar

#29 Khan

Khan
  • Members+
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

The saint was Swami Ram Dass. Not to be confused with the American man who later on also assumed this name. This did happen in the early 1950's; I heard Brother Turiyananda tell this story.

Khan

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users