Photo

Yogananda The Movie

25 replies to this topic

#1 ketch

ketch
  • Members+
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

This may interest some people. The filmmaker seems to be an SRF devotee, but the idea seems to have come from Ananda. I do not know if the project has SRF approval.

Yogananda-The Movie

#2 homework

homework
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:God talks with Arjuna, Second coming of Christ.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

It's time that Yogananda receives the recognition he deserves. That abroad is eaven more necessary than in the US.

In Germany there is a board for Yogananda. But there is not much happening on it.

Yogananda Ashram
"Starve them out by self-control"

#3 Adhikari

Adhikari
  • Members+
  • 501 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

This project has been ongoing for some months now. It doesn't appear to say when it will be finished or available.
Think ye in thy heart, lotus feet of thy Guru, If you want to cross the ocean of delusion. Shaming the white lotus in purity, beyond all duality, Guru, image of Brahma, deliver us from delusion.

-Cosmic Chants

#4 rainbow

rainbow
  • Members+
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

It's time that Yogananda receives the recognition he deserves. That abroad is eaven more necessary than in the US.

In Germany there is a board for Yogananda. But there is not much happening on it.

Yogananda Ashram

This is not a board of any SRF organisation, all kind of divers information, different technics !

I do think that the movie people are still trying to finance the project.
A passage in the Mahabharata is as follows: "One should forgive, under any injury. It hath been said that the continuation of the species is due to man's being forgiving. Forgiveness is holiness; by forgiveness the universe is held together. Forgiveness is the might of the mighty; forgiveness is sacrifice; forgiveness is quiet of mind. Forgiveness and gentleness are the qualities of the Self-possessed. They represent eternal virtue."

#5 Ausar

Ausar
  • Members+
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

http://www.yoganandathemovie.com/

From page 17 of the "Executive Summary" :

"Cast Considerations... Mukunda(Young Yogananda)--->Dev Patel, Aamir Khan, Kal Penn....Walter(Young Kriyananda)--->Daniel Radcliff, Michael Ceira, Emile Hirsch, Robert Pattinson."

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 rainbow

rainbow
  • Members+
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

A bit strange, does each movie project go online to collect money? - Well, let's see what will happen - Master will take care!
IDF
A passage in the Mahabharata is as follows: "One should forgive, under any injury. It hath been said that the continuation of the species is due to man's being forgiving. Forgiveness is holiness; by forgiveness the universe is held together. Forgiveness is the might of the mighty; forgiveness is sacrifice; forgiveness is quiet of mind. Forgiveness and gentleness are the qualities of the Self-possessed. They represent eternal virtue."

#7 Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members+
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

Sounds like a film about Yogananda and his sidekick. Stargz.
Make life an enjoyable experience of the soul.

[This] evenmindedness, when maintained by regular deep meditation, removes the boredom, disappointment, and sorrow from everyday life, making it instead a very interesting and enjoyable experience of the soul.

Paramahansa Yogananda in "Inner Peace" page 13.

#8 en3rgy

en3rgy
  • Members+
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

What a truly epic adventure! Imagine how many parts there would need to be. I am intrigued :)

#9 blue cowboy

blue cowboy
  • Members+
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Ganges River Rafting, worshiping at the Benaras Bathing Ghats, shopping and dining in Puri

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Of course any person here in America can start a "church," and claim a link to real gurus in the process - and that's fine. What I don't support about Ananda is the constant attack on SRF and its leaders (my path) for the last 50 years. Even today, while they speak of harmony they host sites such as "Has SRF Lost Its Way," etc. Because part of Ananda's core values seems to be a constant attack on my path, I cannot support any endeavor that they back. In my very soul I feel their "stuff" - books, movies, whatever you want to call it - is wrong for me. I don't trust their sources about Paramahansa Yogananda - his life, his path, their view of anything about him pretty much. Basically, I think they follow someone else, and I feel sad for them.

idf, bc

#10 Khan

Khan
  • Members+
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Of course any person here in America can start a "church," and claim a link to real gurus in the process - and that's fine. What I don't support about Ananda is the constant attack on SRF and its leaders (my path) for the last 50 years. Even today, while they speak of harmony they host sites such as "Has SRF Lost Its Way," etc. Because part of Ananda's core values seems to be a constant attack on my path, I cannot support any endeavor that they back. In my very soul I feel their "stuff" - books, movies, whatever you want to call it - is wrong for me. I don't trust their sources about Paramahansa Yogananda - his life, his path, their view of anything about him pretty much. Basically, I think they follow someone else, and I feel sad for them.

idf, bc

I totally agree.

Khan

#11 Irihapeti

Irihapeti
  • Members+
  • 5,331 posts
  • Interests:SRF meditation family animals gardening walking cycling<br />motorbike pillion riding

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

Thank you for your post Dear Blue Cowboy my sentiments too and I do get kinda riled when I read and hear of these things. God Bless you. In Divine Friendship and Love. :pronam: :love:
I am fearless; I am made of the substance of God. I am a spark of the Fire of Spirit. I am an atom of the Cosmic Flame. I am a cell of the vast universal body of the Father. "I and my Father are One." - Paramahansa Yogananda

#12 Bemsha

Bemsha
  • Members+
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

Blue Cowboy has expressed my sentiments exactly. Bro. Anandamoy was asked years ago by a devotee, exasperated by Walters' antics, why he (Walters) was around. Brother said that he was here for people to learn discrimination.

#13 Bakhruddin

Bakhruddin
  • Members+
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

To the untrained eye a Zircon and a Diamond look the same.
"The eternal life of God flows through me. I am immortal.
Behind the wave of my mind is the ocean of cosmic consciousness."
P. Yogananda

#14 humblebee

humblebee
  • Members+
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Music and playing guitar, reading, gardening. Four children, and other assorted animals.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

As I have said on this board before, one of my favourite books is "The Path"

Before everyone gets out the shotguns.....

I was given a copy of the Path as a young devotee I read it avidly. The portions in that book in which Donald Walters talked of himself and his mission, I found to be very uninteresting, but the central portion of the book where he speaks of Guruji is very interesting. Walters relates many stories of the Guru with respect, love and truth I feel. I learned a lot about the Guru I feel is true, and it inspired even more devotion to the Guru.

However, I must say I am a little concerned anyone would make a movie of Guruji's life. I just can't imagine how this could be done and reflect the truth of this incarnation. The Master doesn't need publicity, and if Ananda are making a movie about Him it would be publicity for Donald Walters.

Will there come a time when SRFer's become the new Fundamentalist Christians or Muslims? Please say it couldn't happen! I am afraid that it will, and movies about the Master's life would be the beginning, because then people would believe in the "Movie Version" of His life instead of finding out for themselves in the crucible of meditation what He really is and stands for.

#15 rainbow

rainbow
  • Members+
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:36 AM

To the untrained eye a Zircon and a Diamond look the same.

:pronam: :meditate:

#16 ---

---
  • Members+
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

I think a movie about the Guru at this point in time is a bad idea, and will only open him and SRF up to criticism from a misunderstanding public if the movie becomes popular. There are too many changes going on in the world, and SRF is doing just fine diseminating the Gurus work without a lot of hype and drama about his life from film people who think it is their mission to "spread the word" about PY through media to the world at large. This is of course, unless SRF approves this movie, which I doubt they would.

#17 Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members+
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

But there IS another movie on the way, approved by SRF! They officially wrote about it last year.

Donald Walters is only, as he always does, copying everything SRF is doing. He wants to get in there first, and he just might too. He will then look like the "official" face of Guruji's teachings. Stargz.
Make life an enjoyable experience of the soul.

[This] evenmindedness, when maintained by regular deep meditation, removes the boredom, disappointment, and sorrow from everyday life, making it instead a very interesting and enjoyable experience of the soul.

Paramahansa Yogananda in "Inner Peace" page 13.

#18 ---

---
  • Members+
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

But there IS another movie on the way, approved by SRF! They officially wrote about it last year.

Donald Walters is only, as he always does, copying everything SRF is doing. He wants to get in there first, and he just might too. He will then look like the "official" face of Guruji's teachings. Stargz.

That's different then; I trust SRF knows what they are doing, since Babaji is directing the organization.
Maybe that is why the lawsuit was important since it established a legal precedent to separate the two organizations when it comes to the general public. Even so, SRF is under attack from many sources, including fundamentalist Christians and former disgruntled members. SRF is even attacked and criticized by other Yoga groups.

True what you say about DW. I was on a Yahoo board a few years ago talking about Yoga etc., and Yogananda came up in the conversation. The first thing said there by someone who did NOT follow PY or Kriya Yoga, was, "Oh yes, Ananda" and someone put up a link to that website so everyone could learn about PY. So I guess he has been somewhat successful in his goal as you described.

#19 pyislove

pyislove
  • Members+
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:All things spiritual, photography,
    art, psychology, Writing.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

Other religious movements had gotten distorted because they went political,
I mean distinctly after political power and temporal power and conquests.
Like Christianity became shaped and controlled by Roman emperors.

With SRF we have a very different set of circumstances, there are no political
objectives as in those other cases, So far it is other contenders with SRF
in the field of Kriya yoga that are seriously changing some of Yogananda's
teachings for their members, Walters original policies in his communes
was to wield power.
I feel the SRF has so far maintained Yogananda's teachings intact.
It will take a few centuries to really asses how things will shape up
in this whole area.
Many great spiritual movements have had its hijackers who want to show the
world how much smarter they are than the founder. This is demonstrated
by many things including creating organization like Ananda with
an effort to compete directly with the Masters organization.
This effort began before any lawsuits were launched for good reasons.
this was done the way it was as DJW carried so much guilt and resentment
about spoiling his work with SRF that he went that way to
try to appease himself.
This desire to make a movie about Yogananda with Anandas ideas and with
DJW in a major mention or role is more of the same effort. he wants the
story told the way he wants the world to see him.[a false way]

I think over time[hundreds of years] someone will make a great film
about Yogananda and SRF and those who remained loyal to His cause.

As I have said on this board before, one of my favourite books is "The Path"

Before everyone gets out the shotguns.....

I was given a copy of the Path as a young devotee I read it avidly. The portions in that book in which Donald Walters talked of himself and his mission, I found to be very uninteresting, but the central portion of the book where he speaks of Guruji is very interesting. Walters relates many stories of the Guru with respect, love and truth I feel. I learned a lot about the Guru I feel is true, and it inspired even more devotion to the Guru.

However, I must say I am a little concerned anyone would make a movie of Guruji's life. I just can't imagine how this could be done and reflect the truth of this incarnation. The Master doesn't need publicity, and if Ananda are making a movie about Him it would be publicity for Donald Walters.

Will there come a time when SRFer's become the new Fundamentalist Christians or Muslims? Please say it couldn't happen! I am afraid that it will, and movies about the Master's life would be the beginning, because then people would believe in the "Movie Version" of His life instead of finding out for themselves in the crucible of meditation what He really is and stands for.

Edited by pyislove, 19 June 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#20 jbg

jbg
  • Members+
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

In general this planet is not yet interested in spiritual things. I'm speaking of the majority of its inhabitants. Materialism and fulfilling desire is the basic religion of humanity at present. It will be centuries before popular culture will be able to comprehend the life of Paramahansa Yogananda!

#21 rainbow

rainbow
  • Members+
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:13 AM

I took once some 'outsiders' to an open lecture with SRF monks ending with the showing of the long movie documentary by SRF about Master - forgot the title. They were impressed about the high-rank relationships of Master, that was the only comment!:unsure: But we are all in our own universe - respect and love to all - despite the difference! :praying:

#22 frog

frog
  • Members+
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Greece, NLP, Management and Leadership

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hi Rainbow !
Many outsiders think also that Master is a woman. :rolleyes:

I don't feel that the world is ready for a mass reaching movie. Still a few centuries to go.
SRF is a living thing, and will evolve very much from what it is now. The paradox to solve for the organisation is to combine "Keeping the teachings pure" and "Life is perpetual transformation".

I feel that in the future, this path will develop :
- Colonies. Not the JDW's ! :lol:
- A form a art of its own
- How to live schools everywhere
- Some kind of pranayama techniques to live with less food.
- I suspect also some kind of Universities to train leaders

IM
Philippe

#23 rainbow

rainbow
  • Members+
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi Rainbow !

I don't feel that the world is ready for a mass reaching movie. Still a few centuries to go.
SRF is a living thing, and will evolve very much from what it is now. The paradox to solve for the organisation is to combine "Keeping the teachings pure" and "Life is perpetual transformation".

IM
Philippe

Sounds good - lets start !!!!:smileph: Less food for a french?:blush:
Most people who catch a glimpse of Master's photo in my car do ask: who is this woman! Only one person did ask me right away: is this your Guru?:pronam:

#24 pyislove

pyislove
  • Members+
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:All things spiritual, photography,
    art, psychology, Writing.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Yes Frog I too think that will all be coming,
"you ain't seen anything yet!"

Hi Rainbow !

IM
Philippe

#25 rainbow

rainbow
  • Members+
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

Interesting development on Facebook about the Documentary of a Yogi site. What was supposed to be informational about the Yogananda-Project is now a platform of the production team for all kind of yoga institutions, actions etc. Still with Masters photo etc. It seems also a bit strange that the team can not tell when the movie is going to air.Somebody has news?

#26 chelaum

chelaum
  • Members+
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Guruji's Lotus Feet; kirtan (harmonium); my children; Carnatic music; my massi's cooking; serving at the Atlanta Temple; dear friends; advaita scripture (Yoga Vasishta, Upadesa Sahasri, Sri Ramana Gita, GTWA, etc)...

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:02 AM

I think the world is ready for this film. Now that doesn't mean that it'll be widely accepted necessarily. But there is definitely an audience that will soak it up. Every week we have new devotees coming to the Atlanta temple. Other films, like the one about Swaminarayan ji or on Dalai Lama ji, have become popular within their genres. This will also help to counter some of the crap that Hollywood puts out, too. AUM GURU

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users