• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Whisper from Eternity

Whisper from Eternity
  • Moderators
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

HUMILITY

Humility is perpetual quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted, or vexed, or irritated, or sore, or disappointed.

It is to expect nothing, to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed and despised.

It is to have a blessed home in myself, where I can go in and shut the door, and kneel to my Father in secret, and be at peace as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and above is troubled.

(Canon T.T. Carter, framed on the desk of Sri Daya Mata)

#2 Anthony

Anthony
  • Moderators
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

:pronam:: Such a beautiful state of the soul and consciousness. :pronam:

Attached File  humility1.jpg   16.47KB   4 downloads

#3 LotusBlossom

LotusBlossom
  • Members+
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:God, Meditation, Family, Living Beings of all kinds, Philosophy, Religion, Psychology, Nature, Walking, Travel

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

That is beautiful. I really like that.

#4 humblebee

humblebee
  • Members+
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Music and playing guitar, reading, gardening. Four children, and other assorted animals.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

"I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men." Lao-Tsu

#5 Laila

Laila
  • Members+
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:27 AM

Other than quotations, I wonder what we all understand by humility.

I used to feel that my mother, who grew up with the traditional way of worship, need not recite all the mantras, observe all the myriads of holy days and visit the temple regularly after she came to Master's lotus feet. Though she used to do this over and above the twice-daily very regular meditations, I used to feel that there is no need to continue with the traditional form.. But I guess I am wiser now, and feel that we are no one to judge another. All the traditional practices in any religion can only be aimed at improving our Selves...

Not being arrogant about our own spirituality enough to pass judgement on another's too perhaps comes under humility?
Another person's path might have been totally different or not understandable by us, and we certainly do not posses what it takes to judge anyone, avatar or otherwise?

IDF

Wise words, Aum Guru

:pronam: :love: :praying:

#6 Blue Nova

Blue Nova
  • Members+
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy gardening, my three Jack Russell terriers, nature, yoga, meditating, reading books written by our Gurus.......

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:50 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
~*~*~* Jai Guru *~*~*~

#7 Anthony

Anthony
  • Moderators
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

Other than quotations, I wonder what we all understand by humility.

Isnt it so elusive that the moment we start thinking we are humble, we have lost that quality???

Maybe it is even possible to 'pride' ourselves that we are humble? :blink:

I used to feel that my mother, who grew up with the traditional way of worship, need not recite all the mantras, observe all the myriads of holy days and visit the temple regularly after she came to Master's lotus feet. Though she used to do this over and above the twice-daily very regular meditations, I used to feel that there is no need to continue with the traditional form.. But I guess I am wiser now, and feel that we are no one to judge another. All the traditional practices in any religion can only be aimed at improving our Selves...

Not being arrogant about our own spirituality enough to pass judgement on another's too perhaps comes under humility?

Another person's path might have been totally different or not understandable by us, and we certainly do not posses what it takes to judge anyone, avatar or otherwise?

IDF

I too like what you say, Anitha. Oh to be without 'ego'! And the opposite comes up in the most peculiar fashion.

Recent threads on yogananda.net make me think about the importance of peace and reconciliation, which I think can only take place in humility.

Matthew 5:24
"Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift."

#8 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

Attached File  28671_1255051226499_1536124649_30525646_3900429_n.jpg   40.99KB   1 downloads

:pronam: :love: :pronam:

from Daya Ma's Desk

Attached File  CanonTTCarterHumililty.jpg   52.08KB   3 downloads

"May Thy Love shine forever on the sanctuary of our devotion, and may we be able to awaken Thy Love in all hearts."

"Only Love can take my place." Master

"Love one another." Christ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users