Brother Dharmananda

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Joy2BeWith

Joy2BeWith
  • Members+
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been here... hope all of you are doing well....

I want to pay tribute to a monk who has been nothing but a true inspiration in my life and to Master's work.

I've known Brother Dharmananda for 34 years now (I'm 41) and he has been like a father to me while I was growing up, always being there when I needed guidance.

I met Brother D at the Richmond Temple in the late 70's. While I was a little boy attenting Youth Camp at Lake Shrine Brother D was in charge there and told wonderful stories.

He married my beautiful wife and me at the little chapel in Escondido in 2001, as well as marrying my mom and step dad in San Diego in 1985.

While I was a teenager I stayed at Hidden Valley Ranch a couple of times throughout the summers while my mom attended Convocation. I had Brother D all to myself - we played ping pong together, swam together, played basketball and mini-golf together... what fun - a saint all to myself, man was I blessed!

Unfortunately, Brother is not doing too well these days. He visits with the women on Thursdays and the men on Fridays; he also gives the Sunday service the first Sunday of every month at Escondido. Lately, however, Brother hasn't been meeting too much due to his illness.

I feel this spiritual giant, this true saint in Master's line of monastics, might be coming close to leaving us and it saddens me. Please pray for Brother Dharmananda and send him healing and light.

I am blessed to have known this saint personally, and I know one day we will all see each other again in the astral.

Jai Guru
Gerry

#2 Hiaka

Hiaka
  • Members+
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

We often hear Bro. Achalananda refer to Bro. Dharmananda as his friend, but I (at least) know little about him. Are there stories you'd care to contribute?

#3 surrender

surrender
  • Members+
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

Dear Joy2beWith

I couldn’t agree more about what you say about Brother Dharmananda…he is a spiritual giant for me too.

I have been blessed by the awareness of his divine beauty and greatness many years ago,it was Christmas time

and he hold an evening meditation service at the Encinitas Retreat…it was a great,unique experience which

is still one of the most precious gems in the little spiritual treasure I ‘ve collected during all these years...sorry I can’t say more because too personal. :pronam:

I ‘m grateful for your request of prayers for him and join to yours with the same reverence and gratitude. :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle: :sparkle:

...make me the sea

#4 Kare

Kare
  • Members+
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

Dear Gerry,

Thank you for the post and for asking us to pray for that dearly beloved Brother Dharmananda who is in truth a true saint. I met Brother D. back in 1973 and worked with him in 1980s for about 7 months. He is the most unassuming person I have ever met. He is so highly evolved that he seemed beyond the necessity of making any further effort. He is one of Master's pillars that SRF has leaned heavily on over the years. He is sheer inspiration and dearly loved by all those who knew him. When in the Hidden Valley it was fun to be around him. We never felt uncomoftable around him because he was so personable and made every one feel at ease. Some of us even used to literally twist his arm and wrestle with him. O he was so dear. I still remember him coming to the kitchen with his jar of Sanka coffee in the pocket of his jeans. He always radiated love, purity and divine strength. He was like a father to the devotees and he will always have a special place in my heart. I was his personal cook and O yes, he loved his southern dish--fried green tomotaes that he, his Mother and aunt once made for the devotees in the stainless steel kitchen. I can see him dipping the slices in flour and putting them in the frying pan. He is great and he is rare and yes, he is a dear child of the Divine Mother.

idf,
Kare

#5 Love Alone

Love Alone
  • Members+
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

prayers :pronam: :praying: :meditate:

#6 Joy2BeWith

Joy2BeWith
  • Members+
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:37 PM

Dear Gerry,

Thank you for the post and for asking us to pray for that dearly beloved Brother Dharmananda who is in truth a true saint. I met Brother D. back in 1973 and worked with him in 1980s for about 7 months. He is the most unassuming person I have ever met. He is so highly evolved that he seemed beyond the necessity of making any further effort. He is one of Master's pillars that SRF has leaned heavily on over the years. He is sheer inspiration and dearly loved by all those who knew him. When in the Hidden Valley it was fun to be around him. We never felt uncomoftable around him because he was so personable and made every one feel at ease. Some of us even used to literally twist his arm and wrestle with him. O he was so dear. I still remember him coming to the kitchen with his jar of Sanka coffee in the pocket of his jeans. He always radiated love, purity and divine strength. He was like a father to the devotees and he will always have a special place in my heart. I was his personal cook and O yes, he loved his southern dish--fried green tomotaes that he, his Mother and aunt once made for the devotees in the stainless steel kitchen. I can see him dipping the slices in flour and putting them in the frying pan. He is great and he is rare and yes, he is a dear child of the Divine Mother.

idf,
Kare

Beautiful Kare, thanks for sharing!

#7 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Prayers for dear brother Dharmananda! :meditate: :meditate: :meditate:

I went to meet him in 2002 when I visited Hidden Valley while making a retreat at Encinitas. I had made an appointment to meet him, partly because I have always felt a bit of a connection as he grew up in a little town not too far from me and graduated from the same university, although he had already entered monastic life by the time I was a few years old. I arrived there late so spent time with Bro. Bimilananda instead. Can't say I was too disappointed! :rolleyes:

Have heard wonderful things about Brother D. and would like to hear more from other devotees. I remember a few little things that Bro. Achalananda said about him, for those who know even less about him than I do! :)

They were good friends from the time they worked together for an aerospace industry as engineers right out of college, I think. I always forget which did which for sure, but I believe it was Bro. D. who gave Bro. A the AY. They entered monastic life at the same time--actually one drove through the gate a few seconds ahead of the other so there is a running joke about who has been a monastic the longest. In 2003 Bro. A was on his way to India in celebration of 50 years as a monastic, so they must have been monastics now for about 54 years. :smileph:

I wish I could remember all the details that Bro. A. related about all the various work that Bro. D. has done for SRF, it is a long list and we owe him much. Bro. A. speaks of him with great admirations and love. Bro. A. said Bro. D. was good at getting things started, was instrumental in Phoenix Temple and other places in CA, if I remember correctly. As I understand it Hidden Valley was his brain child and Daya Ma said he would start it as long as it was self supporting. It is a retreat for men, and they train postulants. They used to do organic farming, I think, then herbs, and now grow all kinds of beautiful hibiscus and roses for sale plus maybe other things? on about a hundred acres of Hidden Valley. It's a beautiful place and those of you in CA or who were on this board at the time remember when it was almost lost in the huge Southern CA wildfire in 2003, I think was the year. While residents fought 70 ft high flames with a couple of water hoses, We saw a photo of Bro. Bimilananda chanting OM (I'm sure Bro. D. was somehwere doing the same!) and the whole of Hidden Valley was spared. We saw a newspaper map later that showed that whole area totally blackened by fire except a circle of 100 acres in the center white and totally untouched. :meditate:

This is just a quirky little detail off the subject, but I remember Bro. Bimilananda showing me Brother Dharmananda's swimming pool. Then the other day someone mentioned here that Mother Center has installed a 20,000 gallon water tank, supposedly because of the growing water shortages. I have read in the past that swimming pools make great water storage tanks, so maybe this was a bit of forethought?

If I have gotten anything wrong, someone please correct me.

Would love to hear more.

idl

"May Thy Love shine forever on the sanctuary of our devotion, and may we be able to awaken Thy Love in all hearts."

"Only Love can take my place." Master

"Love one another." Christ

#8 vega

vega
  • Members+
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

These are very lovely stories...
Thank you Joy, Kare and LB... Please tell us more..
Can you post photographs as well?
IDF
:love: :pronam:

#9 paulo

paulo
  • Members+
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

Don't you mean Bro. Atchalananda rather than Atmananda, LB?

God First! God Last! God Always! God Alone!

Greater then ever before is the need for purity of living and one-pointed determination and never-ceasing vigilance. The Kingdom of God is within you, and the portals are open wide to the expansion of all of your being in full consciousness of its glory. Press on and on.

#10 Hairakhan

Hairakhan
  • Members+
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

Offering my prayers for Brother Dharmananda -- may he dwell in perpetual bliss whether the body is present or not.

:pronam:

#11 Allan

Allan

• Admin
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:05 PM

...It's a beautiful place and those of you in CA or who were on this board at the time remember when it was almost lost in the huge Southern CA wildfire in 2003, I think was the year. While residents fought 70 ft high flames with a couple of water hoses, We saw a photo of Bro. Bimilananda chanting OM (I'm sure Bro. D. was somehwere doing the same!) and the whole of Hidden Valley was spared. We saw a newspaper map later that showed that whole area totally blackened by fire except a circle of 100 acres in the center white and totally untouched. :meditate: ...

http://www.yogananda.......;aO=1&iWz=0
IDF
Allan

"Philosophy can play an intricate word-game with truth, but what each individual has to deal with in fact is the obstinate mindset of his present state of consciousness."
Paramahansa Yogananda - The Second Coming of Christ, 1st Edition page 134

#12 vega

vega
  • Members+
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

Thanks Allan! :pronam:
What a test of faith it must have been!
:love:

#13 lucknow

lucknow
  • Members+
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:42 AM

Prayers for Bro. D.

#14 Irihapeti

Irihapeti
  • Members+
  • 5,328 posts
  • Interests:SRF meditation family animals gardening walking cycling<br />motorbike pillion riding

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:47 AM

Deepest Prayers and Love for Brother Dharmananda. God Bless him. In Divine Friendship and Love. :pronam: :love: :praying: :praying: :meditate: :meditate: :praying: :love: :pronam:
I am fearless; I am made of the substance of God. I am a spark of the Fire of Spirit. I am an atom of the Cosmic Flame. I am a cell of the vast universal body of the Father. "I and my Father are One." - Paramahansa Yogananda

#15 surrender

surrender
  • Members+
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:48 AM

Can you post photographs as well?

Brother Dharmananda is the first one sitting on the left,the year is 1970:pronam:

Attached Files

...make me the sea

#16 Aum Guru

Aum Guru
  • Members+
  • 9,741 posts
  • Interests:Guruji

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:46 AM

Please tell us who are the others, too?
IDF

#17 Joy2BeWith

Joy2BeWith
  • Members+
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:22 AM

5.4 billion people in the world and all of us who participate in the message board practice the same teachings as these [saints] monks and [Ma] num do.....

Amazing what good karma we have....

Peace

#18 little bird

little bird
  • Members+
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

Don't you mean Bro. Atchalananda rather than Atmananda, LB?

Yes, you are right, Paul, thank you!! I was thinking Achalananda all the time and have no idea why I wrote Atmananda.

Here is dear brother Achalananda (I always thought this was the spelling, but maybe you are right about that, too!?)

He is on the left. Bro. Devananda is on the right.

idl

Attached Files

"May Thy Love shine forever on the sanctuary of our devotion, and may we be able to awaken Thy Love in all hearts."

"Only Love can take my place." Master

"Love one another." Christ

#19 Aum Guru

Aum Guru
  • Members+
  • 9,741 posts
  • Interests:Guruji

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

Bro. Dharmananda, Bro. Mokshananda, Bro. Turiyananda, Bro. Achalananda, Bro. Anandamoy, Bro. Premamoy.

(I don't know who is behind Bro. D, or next to Ma)

Thank you very much, Bluewaters. :pronam:
IDF

#20 vega

vega
  • Members+
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

Thank you dear Surrender and Bluewaters.
:love: :pronam:
I think the one next to Ma is Bhavananda.
And the spelling is Achalananda. (Unmoving)
:pronam:
Attached File  Many_Names.jpg   240.56KB   8 downloads
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Attached File  Achalananda_Devananda.jpg   190.71KB   4 downloads

#21 lucknow

lucknow
  • Members+
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

Yes, you have it right, Amit.

#22 gurubhakta

gurubhakta
  • Members+
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

:praying: Love and prayers for our beloved Brother Dharmanandaji. :pronam:
"Teach me to think of Thee until Thou dost become my only thought."
Sri Yoganandaji

#23 almir108

almir108
  • Members+
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:14 AM

Please tell us who are the others, too?
IDF

Bro. Dharmananda, Bro. Mokshananda, Bro. Turiyananda, Bro. Achalananda, Bro. Anandamoy, Bro. Premamoy.

(I don't know who is behind Bro. D, or next to Ma)

Behind Bro. D = Brother (Swami) Bhavananda
next to Ma = the late Swami Shyamananda (Yogacharia Binay Narayan Dubey)

#24 brygivrob

brygivrob
  • Members+
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:30 AM

Hi all,

I have been around Brothers Dharmananda and Achalananda often for many years. I can attest that I believe Brother Dharmananda is definitely a saint: someone who loves and knows God.

It was Bro. Achalananda who was first to join SRF among these two friends, and I have heard many stories about their early years. Bro. Ach. was the one who drove a few seconds earlier through the gate.

One story is that Bro. Dh. didn't want to enter the ashram bcuz his mother needed to be taken care of; Bro. made good income as an electrical engineer, and supported his mother. Dr. Lewis told Bro. Dh. that if he dedicated his life to God, God would take much better care of his mother. Sure enough, his mother became very self confident later and actually started her own successful business!

He has shown me several times that he could read my mind, and he told us once that he was wondering years earlier, "When will I be able to read others' minds?"
Then he said, "You don't want to know what others are thinking! It's usually awful stuff, and you've got enough of that in your own mind."

Bro. Dh. has one of the greatest senses of humor that I have ever come across in this incarnation. He is very endearing, and a very nice balance between being gently merciful and strong.

I do not worry about his health. Not to say that I will not pray for him. But what I mean is that he is such a highly successful yogi-devotee that a huge, huge reward is waiting for him on the other side when Master meets him. (But it would be terrible to lose him.)

Jai Gurus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users