•  

Photo

The Mahabharata Mini Series On Pbs In 1989...

5 replies to this topic

#1 AUM1955

AUM1955
  • Members+
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Astronomy, Music and most importantly Self Realization Fellowship.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Greetings Fellow Devotees, I realize that viewing television is not a very good type of practice to follow due to it's destructive radiant light beam emissions, as opposed to the reflective light that we observe in nature. There is a very good article on the detrimental effects of television, especially in younger children, in the Summer 2000 issue of Self Realization Fellowship Magazine entitled, "Does The Heart Have A Brain? It's on page 42. I found this TV article most intriguing, other than the main theme of the heart being endowed with 60 to 65% of neural cells instead of all muscle cells as previously thought. If you have a copy of this issue, I strongly suggest reading that article. If not I will see if I can download it to the forum.
Anyway, back to the Topic Title, has anyone caught the 6 part mini-series on PBS back in 89'? It is a French production called "The Mahabharata" directed by Peter Brook. A gentleman by the name of Bruce Myers played Krishna. IMHO it was an awesome movie. I qoute from a user comment from the IMDB web site:
"Highly stylized epic for the mind and soul
, 30 November 1999
Posted Image
Author: wakened from Arizona, USA

This production of the epic Indian poem describes the war between the Pandava and Kaurava, opposing branches of the same family. The 5 brothers of the Pandava driven by light, the Kaurava driven by darkness, though they both exists somewhere in the grey area between good and evil. This enforces the point that they are one in the same. Before the final battle, Krishna shares with Arjuna the knowledge of the Bhagavad-Gita, the Hindu equivalent of the Bible. Brooks does a fantastic job - the minimalist sets focus the attention on the players, and the multinational cast make this production a lesson for all of humanity, not just Hindus. It is more in the style of a play than a movie, which makes it more enjoyable artistically. The 6 hour full-length version seems daunting, but it is all well worth it. "

I just downloaded the movie today so I can watch it again. I had the VHS tapes of which I lost, however in reality, nothing is lost, just misplaced.. I think it is available on DVD. When it converts to HD, I'll pick up a copy, to take advantage of my HD TV and HD/Blu-Ray Player.

However, I would just like to know if anyone caught this movie, The Mahabharata, and would like your views on it. :)
Thanks for reading.

With God and Gurus Blessings, IDF, Don :praying: :love: :pronam:

#2 tellurian

tellurian
  • Members+
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:28 PM

Haven't seen it but it sounds fascinating. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for it. Very interested, also, in the S.R.F magazine article you refer to. If you can't download it I'll be sure to order a back dated issue.

Shanti
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
--Helen Keller

#3 vega

vega
  • Members+
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

Another very highly recommended series is "Bharat Ek Khoj" (1988) based on the book "Discovery of India" by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
It is a must for INDIA lovers...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155424/

#4 chelaum

chelaum
  • Members+
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Guruji's Lotus Feet; kirtan (harmonium); my children; Carnatic music; my massi's cooking; serving at the Atlanta Temple; dear friends; advaita scripture (Yoga Vasishta, Upadesa Sahasri, Sri Ramana Gita, GTWA, etc)...

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

I must say my all time favorite is Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan. The most devotional movie, show, book (any category you name) I've ever seen. I highly recommend this for the bhakta at heart! JAI SRI RAM! :lol:

#5 vega

vega
  • Members+
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

I must say my all time favorite is Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan. The most devotional movie, show, book (any category you name) I've ever seen. I highly recommend this for the bhakta at heart! JAI SRI RAM! :lol:

Yes! There was such an excitement when this series was aired. The streets emptied rapidly and all you could hear was the multiphonic sound of the serial through every house...:)
Full of devotion..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268093/

#6 lucknow

lucknow
  • Members+
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Was that the TV show series? I saw a couple of episodes at Ranchi, maybe it was 1989, around there anyway......Ramayana...it was quite good, even though I didn't understand the Hindi, I am familiar with the story so I knew what was going on.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users