•  

Photo

Which Direction Do You Face While Meditating?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 lucknow

lucknow
  • Members+
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

Has anyone noticed improvement in meditation according to which direction one is facing? I think we are supposed to face the east when we meditate? I have been facing north for years, but I tried facing east over the weekend, and it seemed like I was feeling more of a calming, blissful vibration facing that direction. I remember I used to face east for the first couple of years after I started meditating with the SRF teachings.

I know Guruji talks about which direction your head is when you sleep, and there is one direction that he didn't recommend having your head pointing towards when you sleep, but I don't remember if there was also something about meditation.

#2 Memory

Memory
  • Moderators
  • 7,012 posts
  • Interests:Finding God in all things... great and small.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have always faced the East.. I am not sure where I read about that however... :pronam:
If you unceasingly whisper in your heart to Me.. "Oh my Silent Beloved, speak to me"
I will come to you, My devotee.

#3 innernature

innernature
  • Members+
  • 1,814 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, Aikido, Travel, Self-Education, Web Design

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

I think he says to face East in the lessons, perhaps the first lesson with the basic instructions for meditation.
From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.

~ Dr. Seuss

#4 mahdhu

mahdhu
  • Members+
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

yes. it is in the lessons. if i remember right, in case you cannot face east, you can face north.

#5 happybuddha

happybuddha
  • Members+
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Has anyone noticed improvement in meditation according to which direction one is facing? I think we are supposed to face the east when we meditate? I have been facing north for years, but I tried facing east over the weekend, and it seemed like I was feeling more of a calming, blissful vibration facing that direction. I remember I used to face east for the first couple of years after I started meditating with the SRF teachings.

I know Guruji talks about which direction your head is when you sleep, and there is one direction that he didn't recommend having your head pointing towards when you sleep, but I don't remember if there was also something about meditation.

Since I am pretty much in the beginning, I know, he said you could either face east or north.
I face North while meditating, somehow it is more "easier".
Regarding sleeping, I dont think anything has been mentioned in the lessons. You can face anywhere while sleeping. As per Hindu philosophy your feet shouldnt be facing the east. As per a lot of Muslim followers also your feet shouldnt face east, or in the direction of Mecca, because they say, God is there . But then I remember GuruNanaks saying ( once he was sleeping with his feet facing Mecca and someone objected, then He told that person to turn his feet in the direction where God is not there. When the man turned his feet, in whatever direction he did so, he could see Mecca moving in that direction). I hope I am putting it across clearly.

I felt a lot of difference once. I cannot sit cross legged. So I sit on a armless chair while meditating. One day I just meditated sitting on the bed ( on a woolen blanket ofcourse) and I had one of the most peaceful meditating sessions.

just my two cents

IDF

#6 Gurucharan

Gurucharan
  • Members+
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

Direction of a person while sleeping also has importance in Vastushastra. One should never sleep having head towards the North Pole and legs towards the South Pole. However one may sleep having legs towards the West and head towards the East for mental peace, good thoughts and spirituality.

http://www.vastucomp...m/Vastu_Faq.asp

This seems to have significance to earth's magnetic poles and the lines of force interaction with the magnetism in the human body.

#7 Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members+
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:31 AM

Lesson S1 - P3, page 5. "The yogis have found, that facing East is helpful in meditation". :love: Stargz.
Make life an enjoyable experience of the soul.

[This] evenmindedness, when maintained by regular deep meditation, removes the boredom, disappointment, and sorrow from everyday life, making it instead a very interesting and enjoyable experience of the soul.

Paramahansa Yogananda in "Inner Peace" page 13.

#8 Eastward_In_Eden

Eastward_In_Eden
  • Members+
  • 501 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:10 AM

Keep it simple.... I just try to face "eastward in Eden"... no need for a compass :)
"Whenever the mind wanders in the maze of myriad worldly thoughts,
patiently lead it back to remembrance of the indwelling Lord."
- Paramahansa Yogananda

http://soundcloud.com/eastward_in_eden

http://newagemusik.n...r1607754/videos

#9 Sanatana Ananda

Sanatana Ananda
  • Members+
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:GOD<br /><br />WHO AM I?

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

I meditate mostly EAST/Northeast.

My bed is located in accordance with FENG-SUI. Spiritual perceptions-dreams and visions can be received in that dimension between sleep and waking. I have always avoided having a TV in the room I sleep or meditate in.

Because of my lumbar/back problem, I do much meditation in modified positions, and have incorporated my spiritual practice in the room where I also sometimes rest. It is my goal to spend less time in the unconscious sleep state.

If my memory is right, Master said sleeping on the left side is predominately a lower realm to enter sleep in.
Resting on the back is conducive to light sleeping and much easier to lose the consciousness of the body; before the sleep state overcomes the mind.

:meditate:

#10 chelaum

chelaum
  • Members+
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Guruji's Lotus Feet; kirtan (harmonium); my children; Carnatic music; my massi's cooking; serving at the Atlanta Temple; dear friends; advaita scripture (Yoga Vasishta, Upadesa Sahasri, Sri Ramana Gita, GTWA, etc)...

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

Yeah... Guruji said when He slept on His left side, He saw demons and such. He blessed them and turned over on His right. Also, I've heard that sleeping on the left side can add pressure to the heart.

#11 Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members+
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

But who can sleep in the same position all night? I don't think it is so good for our muscles. I know I alternate a lot. :D :love: Stargz.

[This] evenmindedness, when maintained by regular deep meditation, removes the boredom, disappointment, and sorrow from everyday life, making it instead a very interesting and enjoyable experience of the soul.

#12 lucknow

lucknow
  • Members+
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the look-up, Stargzy. I've been facing east for a few days now, and it seems that they yogis are right, it is helpful, more thn facing north as I've done for some years. I think I'll keep my eastern facing configuration.

I sleep on my left side a lot...uh oh....

#13 srinath

srinath
  • Members+
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

i face in between east and north.
previously north direction.
last july i visit ranchi thee swami amarananda told face between north and east. it will more helpful for all.. from that onwards i'm meditating on the same.

#14 Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members+
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

Hehe, when doing EEs, I start with East, then for arm and foot movements, I have to face North because of space circumstances - and I am always SOOO aware, that looking N/E will fly me directly to Los Angeles! It is also where my wall calendar hangs, so maybe I will land in Encinitas or at Lake Shrine? (no splash-down, I will put the brakes on! :D ).
I was happy to find out, that my bed, by design of the house by my son, is best: Head at East, therefore feet at west. Travelling backwards, headfirst into the sunrise!
:love: Stargz.

#15 lucknow

lucknow
  • Members+
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Thanks, srinath, maybe I need to angle myself a bit.

#16 vega

vega
  • Members+
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hehe, when doing EEs, I start with East, then for arm and foot movements, I have to face North because of space circumstances - and I am always SOOO aware, that looking N/E will fly me directly to Los Angeles! It is also where my wall calendar hangs, so maybe I will land in Encinitas or at Lake Shrine? (no splash-down, I will put the brakes on! :D ).
I was happy to find out, that my bed, by design of the house by my son, is best: Head at East, therefore feet at west. Travelling backwards, headfirst into the sunrise!
:love: Stargz.

:rofl: :love: :pronam:

#17 AUM1955

AUM1955
  • Members+
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Astronomy, Music and most importantly Self Realization Fellowship.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

According to Master :love: , Face East, the direction from which helpful subtle solar currents are always flowing :meditate: :praying: :pronam:

IDF :love: , don

#18 Bakhruddin

Bakhruddin
  • Members+
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

When we have our gaze fixed at the spiritual eye, isn't that "facing east"?

Yes, Master recommends facing East early in the lessons. He also recommends
sitting on a silk cloth covering a woolen blanet. This I do, but my available location
for meditation does not readily permit facing east. Maybe I am too dense, but I
can't say that I notice much of a different with, or without the blankets, facing
east, etc. On the other hand, I do the best I can since I can use all the help
I can get - seen or unseen. :-)
"The eternal life of God flows through me. I am immortal.
Behind the wave of my mind is the ocean of cosmic consciousness."
P. Yogananda

#19 blue cowboy

blue cowboy
  • Members+
  • 2,486 posts
  • Interests:Ganges River Rafting, worshiping at the Benaras Bathing Ghats, shopping and dining in Puri

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

Brian: True east is the spiritual eye imho. We all do the best we can and then surrender to God. What matters most: Where the body is pointed or where the heart is pointed?

idf, bc

#20 Moko

Moko
  • Members+
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

When I meditate, sometimes I have to move my body to face another direction to feel in harmony. I have never checked to see if the new position corresponds to east or not, but it is interesting...

#21 rajeev_kk

rajeev_kk
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Master recommends facing East early in the lessons
facing East is helpful in meditation.

but actually Elders say that south to north is best coz of earths magnetic field

Is Direction of a person while sleeping also has importance in Vastushastra

can any one tell me were & which directions to sleep!

pls help iam a new guy to dis!

do this seems to have significance to earth's magnetic poles and the lines of force interaction with the magnetism in the human body.

i got some information from http://www.subhavaastu.com

but its not clear!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users